It’s my belief that there should be no apologies for art. However, i will make a disclaimer. This poem has content that may not be suitable for children. Watch accordingly.
With that being said, this poem is pure genius which would therefore make Danez Smith a spoken genius. Enjoy!
I recently had the opportunity to meet Nate after a performance that he did. He’s just as amazing a person as he is a poet. I hope that you enjoy his words as much as I do. Without further ado, here’s “Pallbearers:”
So I was recently reading a blog that made me question some things about my writing. I get writer’s block sometimes. After reading a post by one of my favorite bloggers, Erica Riva, I’m not so sure if its block or if I’m having a battle within myself. She asked, “As a writer, do you sometimes feel suppressed?” Well the answer to that is an easy one.
My answer is that most of the time I find myself writing for other people rather than writing for myself. I use to write and be extremely open about how I felt. All of that changed when I came across the world of spoken word. At that point, I was no longer writing just for me, I was writing for an audience. I was penning for an audience that could be offended by something that I said. They may judge me because of my feelings or the lack thereof. I shut down in a way. I wasn’t being honest with myself or the audience.
I find something strange. My friend gave me the name PoeticXposure because he says that I expose myself through my poetry. This turns out to be not as true as he would think. I’ve begun to not expose myself to certain people. If there was someone in the audience that I felt would be offended by a piece, I would perform something else. Eventually this will have to stop. I’ve written things that are dear to me, that expose me beyond what I’m comfortable with. Have I performed those pieces? You ask, of course not. Maybe one day soon. Maybe I’ll be comfortable enough to let the world in on how I truly feel, regardless of people’s guarantee to be offended by something I wrote.
With this blog, I find myself not posting things because I’m not sure if I’m being too open or not. I keep reminding myself that this is my life that I’m telling people about, and most of the time, it’s not just my story that I’m telling, its someone else’s. I feel like I’m not being completely honest with my readers, or with myself. So I’ve said all of that to say this. I will live up to my name. I will stop hiding behind what some would say my computer screen. I’ll share more. I’ll give more. I’ll expose more. It’s about time that everyone gets to know the person that I try so hard to hide.
Thank you for reading!
Anyone who knows me knows that I’ve been a Sammie fan since the beginning. Well he has a new mixtape that is being released tomorrow, September 4, 2012. This is the title track. The music is beautiful alone and his voice just adds an even greater beauty. The lyrics are nice as well. Hope you enjoy it!
P.S. The link attached to his name will also take you to his website where you’ll be able to download the mixtape!
1. I’m a hopeless romantic; therefore I give very romantic gifts, maybe too quickly at times.
2. I’m as forward as a girl can get. If I like you, you’ll know it.
3. I’ll write about you; however you may not get to read everything.
4. If you don’t like poetry, things may not work out, considering that’s my passion
5. I’m absolutely in love with Nate Marshall. Don’t get too jealous, I’ve
never met him before.
6. I listen to a wide variety of music. Don’t be surprised if you run across a mixed cd featuring Lee Brice and Luther Vandross.
7. If you take me out to eat, I promise not to order the lobster, but I won’t order the salad either.
8. Once we’ve been dating for a while, I’ll pay sometimes. No need to go broke, I can afford to feed you too, just don’t order the lobster 🙂
9. I love to cook, so don’t be surprised if I invite you over to dinner a lot.
10. If I talk to my mom and you come up in conversation, it’s a good thing.
11. My sister is my best friend, if she doesn’t like you; it’s not a good sign.
12. I’m very quiet until you get to know me, then you might not be able to get me to shut up.
13. If I get too quiet, I probably have something on my mind.
14. My father passed away when I was young, so when the time comes be prepared to meet my pastor, he’s the next best thing. And yes his opinion matters.
15. Speaking of pastors, I value everything he says, I attend his church as often as possible, you’ll get cool points for coming with.
16. I read a lot; I don’t like to be interrupted while I’m reading. Most of the time it’s the only way that I get to unwind.
17. I love receiving random text messages throughout the day letting me know you were thinking about me.
18. I would rather have conversations with you in person than over the phone if we can help it.
19. There are a lot of places that I’ve never been, so there are a lot of perfect date places 🙂
20. I don’t have any tattoos, not even sure if I want any.
21. I get excited about small things; it may be a good idea to humor me, even if you aren’t all that interested.
22. After a long frustrating day, all I may need is a hug, most of the time I’ll ask.
23. I like action, horror, suspense, and drama films. But I’m a true fan of chick flicks. I own more of the latter.
24. I don’t cry often, but when I do, there’s reason to worry
25. I have a huge heart, If you treat me right, I’ll be sure to make room for you.
If you haven’t already purchased a copy of my book for whatever reason, now’s the chance. Perhaps, you’re not a fan of the
old fashioned paperback book. If that’s the case, you’re in luck. “Let Me Be Your Love Poem” is now available on Kindle. If you own a Kindle and are a prime member, you can even borrow it from the Kindle Owners’ Lending Library. If you are a fan of love poems, it will be well worth the purchase. When you get a chance drop on by Amazon and check it out. If you already have a copy, write a review, I would highly appreciate it! Just click on the book below! Love you guys!
I prayed for the type of man I wanted to marry.
And then I prayed for you.
That same boy who cried the first time we broke up,
Now I’m the one crying over you.
Just a short poem that I wrote about how I was feeling at the moment. There wasn’t even a need for a title. My emotions were sudden and so was the poem. I must say that I didn’t expect to feel this way but it just happened, surprise! surprise!